What to Bring
Weather in Alaska is unpredictable. Some days, the sun is shining and its 70 degrees, other days, its 50 degrees and drizzling rain- or sometimes, we see both in one day. Adequate layered outdoor clothing is essential. From Mid-May through Mid-September, average daytime temperatures normally range from 50°F to 75°F (10°C to 25°C). Precipitation is frequent in Southeast Alaska (50+ inches/127 centimeters) as we are in a temperate rainforest. Please keep in mind when booking that fog sometimes delays flights so it is necessary to remain flexible.
Our recommendation for clothing is layering with “moisture wicking” sports clothing, so you can shed or add clothing as the weather changes. Here are some of the layers we suggest; how many of each item you bring should depend on how sensitive you are to cooler weather. A link to our local weather is available on our website, www.beartrackinn.com.
Here is a general idea of what to bring:
- Warm hat, gloves, and wool socks (wool is thick and absorbent)
- Long Underwear – Top and bottom; synthetic (Polypropylene or Capilene) preferred over cotton for water activities as they dry faster. Cotton just absorbs water and makes you cold!
- Shirts – T-shirts, flannel/fleece shirts, lightweight long sleeve shirts, or turtlenecks
- Jacket/Sweaters – Pile or fleece-insulated jacket and/or wool/fleece sweater. When you are on a boat at speed it will get cold.
- Pants – comfortable and durable jeans or khakis, fleece pants to wear under rain pants or waders (if applicable), convertible pants/shorts, and/or a pair of walking shorts
- Rain Gear – A good quality, two-piece suite with hood; coated nylon with factory-sealed seams or Gore-Tex. This is optional as the Inn has some rain gear sizes M-XXL.
- Shoes/Boots – Athletic shoes and/or comfortable, sturdy and water repellent hiking boots. The Inn has rubber boots in various sizes for your use. You will want these for fishing, hiking to the beach, and kayaking. We have adult shoe sizes 5 13. Please call in advance to let us know if you will need a larger size. Children’s sizes are very limited. If they have their own it is recommended that you bring them.
- Miscellaneous – Binoculars, insect repellent, lip balm, sunscreen, and electronic chargers.
- Polarized Sunglasses
- Camera equipment (with extra film/memory cards and batteries).
- We have a limited supply of sunscreen, bug spray, bear spray, and other toiletries in case you forget. Soap, lotion, shampoos, and body washes are included in the rooms.
As always, feel free to contact us with any other questions you may have.
Luggage Limitations – A 50 pound per person limitation is imposed when traveling in small planes. In most cases, it is possible to store excess luggage with flight service provider. Laundry service is available at the Inn with 24 hours’ notice for an additional fee.